Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, April 29, 2013

Eye of the Beholder


I took a brief pause in posting my poems so I thought I would pick up where I left off.
 
This poem is different in that the content was taken from random words that popped out at me from different magazine articles. My assignment was to randomly cut out words without thinking about how they would fit into my poem before it was written. This is why it is called a 'cut-up' poem.
 
Eye of the Beholder
A ‘Cut-Up’ Poem by Elizabeth Lancaster

“Tick-Tock”
 
Beauty in a bottle leaks
Creeping through open cracks
Falling
Like a strange, slow snow
 
Sprinkled in the shadows
By a giant hurricane…a gift

“Tick-Tock”

Eyes peer - lingering in those shadows
In the safety of the shadows
In the beauty of the shadows

“Behold the Beauty,
Brilliant Eyes!”

What are eyes made of, that they should see this gift?
The gift of beauty
The beauty in the pockets of the shadows.

“Tick-Tock”

Depressed eyes look, but do not see
Like chopsticks grasping at Chamomile tea
They beg their lids “open, please” – they refuse

“Behold the Beauty,
Bulging Eyes!”

Tick-tock goes the clock
The clock is their enemy
Like a rock they do not move

The beauty will fade
They will not see

The beauty inspired by the shadows
 
Their only hope – the timer
The timer, broken.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment